Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Tongue in cheek

Tongue in Cheek is something said or done with insincerity, irony, or whimsical exaggeration while feigning seriousness.

In other words:
The art of telling a joke with a straight face. (we have all done it before)

One way of memorizing this term is,
for someone to keep a serious face they might bite their tongue as if it were in the cheek to hinder laughter.  

One personal example of a tongue in cheek moment is that I was recently watching this video on funny or die about this fake Herman Cain Sexual Harassment Ad and my dad was looking at it from a distance and asked "Is this an actual ad" and i told him "Yes" like it was no big deal, but then he caught on because of how serious my face was. (deadpan humor)


More Examples:

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea what this word meant, and this actually helped me a lot! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete